Food Storage During Outages
According to the USDA:
- A fully-stocked freezer will stay cold for two days.
- A half-full freezer will keep items frozen one day.
- An unopened refrigerator will keep food cold four hours after power is lost.
- Be sure to check the temperature inside your fridge once electricity is restored to determine if the food is safe to eat.
- The refrigerator should be at or below 40 degrees with the freezer at or below zero degrees.
- If a prolonged outage is expected, place items that can be frozen in the freezer.
- Food such as milk, cheese, and eggs can be packed with ice in a closed cooler.